10 Years in Business!

Monday, July 21, 2014

10 year Anniversary!

On the 1st August 2014 we celebrated  being in business for 10 years! We've been in our current shop on Middle Street in Corbridge for two years now, where many of our customers have found us, but if you were wondering when and how we set up, here is a brief history of how we started the business. 

On the 1st August 2004 I officially became self-employed and started life as a business owner. For a few years previous making jewellery had been a hobby which luckily I was encouraged to pursue. Having completed a degree in Psychology and starting working in an office and then a hospital, I took a giant leap of faith to set the business up after I was offered an informal apprenticeship. 

Initially, my designs took a back seat as I learnt the trade and worked an office job to keep the money coming in, but gradually over time as my business and orders started to grow, I was able to reduce the hours training and the office job. My first designs were mainly beaded necklaces, earrings and bracelets and were made on a tiny little wooden table tucked away in a cupboard. 

Many of the first pieces I made were sold in local shops and galleries and I was fortunate enough to have a small exhibition of my work in a British product based shop in Holland. 

I trained for 5 years with a traditional silver and goldsmith at Kirkharle Courtyard where I learnt how to work with precious metals. After 5 years I decided that it was time to move on and focus on my business by which stage had grown to support me.

I was also involved in setting up Brodie and Brodie in Corbridge where I sold my jewellery. Fast forward a further 2/3 years and I had taken over the shop which is now in my own name, Kirsty Taylor Jewellery.

 We can currently be found on Middle Street in Corbridge, Northumberland where we operate a shop and a workshop. We can also be found online at our website www.kirstytaylorjewellery.com  and also Not on the High Street

The business has gone from strength to strength in 10 years and the business currently employs the lovely Beth, Elaine and Kate who work alongside me, organising, making and running the business. We spend a lot of our time producing one-off pieces and bespoke commissions, particularly Wedding and Engagement Rings and hope to continue producing unusual, one-off and bespoke pieces as we continue to grow. 

 

 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe